Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Packet Focus Security Research

Packet Focus Security Research

Ok... the first version of the Distro is ready.. It is to be dubbed "labrat v0.8". This version is far from being slimmed down, weighing in at 587megs. It includes the KDE desktop with a lot of stock programs included. I thought that most of the packages were removed in the main module but a few snuck in.. :)

This Distro is being built off Morphix.. I must say it is a pleasure to work with. Two weekends and 30 install later I found morphix and had my first distro running in about 2 hours. My initial focus was to install a distro and create a mirror image bundled into the cd.. But now I found that the overlay approach works great and is very repeatable and scriptable.

So this is a Pre-Alpha/ Alpha version and has little bugs. So far it has worked great but did bomb out on a Optiplex 280 @ the Office. I think passing a boot paramater VGA=??? will fix it but I haven't tried yet.

I did notice the sound was LOUD when KDE starts on my laptop so remember to turn the sounds down if your using a laptop..

The /pentest/ directory has a few simple test directories installed including MetaSploit 2.5. This was just to understand how Morphix copies the files over.

A couple standard debian packages have been added;
Nmap
TCPdump
Ethereal
Stunnel

To name a few.

I copied over a theme but mispelled the directory.

Anyway, I hope to have time and work on the next version this week and put a beta version out in a month or so.

Download www.packetfocus.com

No comments: